The title might make a person think I am young, but I'm really not that young. I use the term "kid" loosely. I am 33 years old. No, I am not old, but I have lived some life. I have 3 girls ages 10, 7, and 4. I have been married for 14 years coming up this June (can't believe it!!). The reason I am the new kid in town is I just started working for the fire service as a paramedic firefighter. Did I mention I just graduated paramedic school less than a year ago? What can I say, I'm a late bloomer. Anyway, last August I began my career with a small midwest town fire service. I am actually the first female to be hired full time there, and this blog will follow the ups, downs, adventures and craziness of my new career.
Let me start from the beginning, I grew up in an area that the word rural doesn't even begin to describe. Some people may call it desolate, or even God forsaken, but for me it was home. My family lived 30 minutes from the nearest grocery store and no, that wasn't because we had to wait in traffic to get there, it was because it actually took that long to drive there on a clear day with no ice or snow on the roads. We raised beef cattle and farmed hay and wheat. As a teenager I couldn't wait to get away from that place. I always wondered what other girls my age were doing while I was feeding bottle calves or helping brand. Don't get me wrong, we had TV just like everyone else in America-3 whole channels in fact. (Well, again pending that clear day with no wind, ice, or snow!) I always thought I would marry a rich business man and move to a big city. I would have a couple of kids and go out for dinner every night at some fancy restaurant with white linen tablecloths (I had never eaten at such a place, but had seen them on one of my 3 channels of TV). I would get dressed up for my husband after a day of taking care of our children and hitting the gym. I would own designer bags and shoes. I would only go back to the desolate country when Christmas came, and they would all think I was so "citified" and I would like it.
Ok, out of my teenage fantasy now. To make a long story, well...a little less long, my life didn't turn out that way. It didn't turn out even close to that-and I couldn't be happier that it didn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment