Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Enjoy it while you can

The other day I told my daughter she sounded like a broken record and she said, "Mom, what are you talking about?"  I laughed and thought it was funny, but how would she know what a record was?  She is seven.  She doesn't know what a cassette tape is either.  My kids think it is funny that phones used to be connected to the wall and you could only use them to talk-no texting, watching movies, or playing games.

I've read a lot lately about the "entitlement generation" and how people 35 and younger didn't have to work as hard as our parents.  I do agree that there are a lot of things that were easier for me growing up than my parents and grandparents.  I also think there are some things that were harder.  I think every generation is unique and every time period comes with its own conveniences and challenges. Every generation thinks the one after is "spoiled" or "entitled".  My parents know I missed out on having party lines, my grandparents know my parents missed out on "simpler times" when no one had a phone, etc.  Sometimes I wish my kids knew what it was like to grow up when I did, before kids all had their own electronic gaming devices and we played outside for entertainment. I guess we did have gaming systems..our closest neighbor (5 miles down the gravel road) had a Nintendo.  My brother and I would ride our bikes up and down the hills between our house and theirs just to play Nintendo for awhile-and we thought it was the greatest thing ever.  My kids just have to find the tablet and make sure it has enough battery to play a game. If my kids had to ride their bikes 10 miles round trip to play a game I don't think they'd do it.  I feel they have things easier, but harder too.  I never had to worry about cyber bullies-I didn't even know what that meant!  My parents didn't have to monitor my internet sites because there was no such thing.  A lot of things that were created to make our lives easier have made them harder, too.  I think we forget that there is a difference between easier and simpler.  Yes-some things might be easier with all the communication and hyper connectivity we have today, but they are not really simpler.  We complicate our lives with being constantly connected with just about everyone we know.  Don't get me wrong-I think its great to be able to talk with my friends I don't live near with nothing more than typing a few words.  Our parents didn't have that when they were our age-they had to pick up the phone-or write a letter (what's that?!).

Of course fire and EMS are no strangers to changing times and different generations.  The only constant is that things will always change. I've come to the point in my life where I crave the wisdom of my elders.  I have gotten past my rebelliousness of young adulthood and want to know more about how generations before me did things.  Don't get me wrong-I have no plans to move to a one room cabin without running water.  I think, though that there is so much to be learned from those who have done this before.  When I have a patient in the ambulance who is in his or her 80s or 90s, I really enjoy listening to their stories.  I love hearing what they did when they were my age, the kids they raised, the job they worked.  They have such a healthy pride in their accomplishments, accompanied by humility and gratitude.  I can tell just by listening to them for a few minutes that they worked harder than I can imagine for everything they have-and they are grateful.  Sometimes I wish I could go back in time-just to see what it was like when they were in their prime-how they handled things compared to my generation. I am always inspired by them, and of course they always tell me "enjoy it while you can, it'll go by fast."  And I am starting to think that they are right.

So I will enjoy it.  I'll enjoy my kids while they are home-the camping trips, family vacations, and just regular old Tuesday nights in the yard or in front of the TV.  I'll enjoy having the ability to work and help others.  And I'll try to gain some wisdom from my elders in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment