Have you ever just felt like you were meant to be somewhere at a certain time? I have heard people tell stories about coincidence, fate, or God placing them in a situation by a miracle. I had never really had an experience like this until the day of my second interview with the fire service.
Now I don't know how men choose clothes, but I know we women many times over think our wardrobe for special days. I tried really hard not to over think but the harder I tried the more I thought about it. (There have to be at least a few people out there who know what I'm talking about!) I finally put on some gray dress pants and a black shirt and headed out the door. Oh, and some red heels-coincidentally red is my favorite color and I thought they might be a nice touch for an interview at a place with a bunch of red trucks. (Yes, I know...typical woman, what can I say I'm still a girl) My interview wasn't until 1500 but I was so excited that I got on the road at about 1200 and headed out of town. The drive was only about an hour and a half but of course you never know what can happen out on the road and being late for an interview is just never a good idea. When I was about 10 miles away from my destination I saw a car and a farm truck in the ditch. There were two men standing by the car and one had blood coming down his back and was holding his head. The other man looked uninjured but I couldn't help but think that there was a lot of blood on the one man's back and there was no law enforcement or EMS there. I stopped my car and told the men my name. I told the man who was bleeding to sit down because I didn't want him to pass out. The man's head was still bleeding and he had taken off his shirt. Of course I had no gloves with me on this day even though I usually carry some in my car, and of course I was dressed in my pretty interview clothes and red high heels. I could tell the man was getting tired of holding his head because he wasn't holding strong enough pressure on it anymore and it was still bleeding. I grabbed the man's dirty t shirt he had taken off and held pressure on his scalp with it. (Not exactly the most sterile thing but in a situation like that you do what you can.) Within a couple of minutes highway patrol and EMS arrived and they took over. They thanked me and I got back in my car and headed for my interview-miraculously still clean. While driving the rest of the way I thought about what had happened and how crazy it was that I came upon that accident. Would the man have been ok if I had not shown up? Most likely. But it was still just so strange to me that on this day of all days that happened in my path just a minute before I was passing by.
After washing my hands thoroughly, I went to my second interview. It went great. I had a good feeling about it and even told my interviewers about what had happened on my way to town earlier. I remember one of them joking with me that I shouldn't be out there causing accidents. I started home shortly after the interview and called my husband. I told him about what had happened on the way to the interview and about the interview itself. When he heard my story, he said, "well I guess we'd better start packing our stuff!" He was confident I would get the job. I wasn't so confident, but I was definitely hopeful. As it turned out I got a phone call before I was even back home offering me the job pending a background check. I was so excited that I pulled over to the side of the road and did a "car dance" (you know that happy dance you do in your car but passersby probably think it looks more like a seizure? Yeah, one of those.)
Well now you know how I got here and how this adventure began. I have had a few people tell me that apparently God wanted me to be in the place I was at the time I was that day. Maybe He did. There is no way for me to know what God thinks but it sure seems that way to me too.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you."
-Jeremiah 29:11
No comments:
Post a Comment